Tracksy Web Stats A Knitter's Wonderland: My Sister's Visit

A Knitter's Wonderland

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland) Needles click, how they glisten, cozy sound, as you listen, they’re stuck everywhere, sit down if you dare, welcome to my knitter’s wonderland. Yarn abounds to overflowing, countless books increase my knowing. I need every bit; I care not a whit if there’s no pathway through my wonderland! In an evening I can make a mitten, start a shawl, a sweater, or a hat. But the question to ask any kitten, is “Do you think she’ll really finish that?”

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My Sister's Visit

This is my sister Janice. I haven't seen her in over ten years! The last time she came to Oklahoma, she got a tattoo. I got one shortly after she left. I would have got mine at the same time but didn't have my sketch completed. We went to Derby, Kansas for our tattoos so I'm really glad it's finally legal in OK. I plan to get another one to celebrate getting through all this big C stuff.

As you can see, she has made a couple of dishclothes (boy, I had to keep reminding her "When you knit them they are NOT dish RAGS!!!) And can you believe it's 5:30 am! I tell you, I didn't look this good!

She hasn't knitted in years but wanted to try it again. So I started her out on an easy dishcloth - which she finished in record time. Next she tried a DW dishcloth. She wasn't as taken with it as some of us are.

And I finally found someone to take the enterlac bag off my hands. She actually like the colors and was thrilled to take it home. The other thing she really wanted was a felted purse. So we made a run to GY and she picked up some Cascade 220 so I could knit and felt her a clutch type purse. I'll be adapting the Lopi bag and the purse from the front of the enterlack bag book, kind of morphing them into a single purse. She picked some nice colors, a light sage green and a darker green for the contrasting stripe. It should look very nice.

But after the second dishCLOTH, she decided she really wanted to knit a scarf. I had shown her my Emily scarf and she just loved it. So back to GY, where she told me she was allergic to wool. So what is as soft as wool but not wool? ALPACA!

She found some gorgeous, tweedy looking alpaca and decided that was what she wanted. We found her some size 13 needles and started trying stitch swatches. She was still working out the stitch when she called to let me know she made it home okay. There is nothing like having another family member who knits!

And the steroid reduction plan kind of hit a snag. Last Thursday my dr dropped me down to 1/2 a prednesone tablet (10 mg) and I was fine for about one day. Then on Saturday I started having some really unusual symptoms - all I wanted to do was sleep, I wasn't one bit hungry (I liked this one), and my knees were really giving me fits when I did get up. Jim did some checking on the internet and it appeared I was having some pretty strong indicators of adreanal instability. So I took another 1/2 of a prednesone and within half an hour felt fine.

I see my dr tomorrow and will see what he says. It's extremely frustrating sometimes. But I have hair long enough to actually feel. GI's still have hair longer than mine but at least you can kind of see it. I seem to have a bald spot right up front and since I'm not looking forward to wearing a toupe the rest of my life, that spot better fill in!

4 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's your tattoo? I'm so curious.

Sounds like a great visit with your sister. I love having knitting in common with some of my family members -- I can't think of a hobby that promotes bonding better. I wonder why that is? What is it about knitting that allows it to be both a perfect activity for when you're alone as well as a perfect social activity?

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I'm so happy you enjoyed the time with your sister. She did a great job with her dishcloths.

I'll continue praying for your health and steroid reduction. Going from 10mg to 5 mg is a big jump when you've been on them for so long. Maybe the Dr. will schedule a reduction in smaller increments.

Have a great upcoming weekend!

Shelly

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

What a great visit - "Some of us" are so taken with the DW, are we now?

What's your next tatoo going to be?

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved reading about your long lost sister's visit. Did you enjoy it more than meeting the yarn harlot?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home