Tracksy Web Stats A Knitter's Wonderland: Sugar's Blanket & The End of My Harlot Saga

A Knitter's Wonderland

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland) Needles click, how they glisten, cozy sound, as you listen, they’re stuck everywhere, sit down if you dare, welcome to my knitter’s wonderland. Yarn abounds to overflowing, countless books increase my knowing. I need every bit; I care not a whit if there’s no pathway through my wonderland! In an evening I can make a mitten, start a shawl, a sweater, or a hat. But the question to ask any kitten, is “Do you think she’ll really finish that?”

Monday, July 31, 2006

Sugar's Blanket & The End of My Harlot Saga

As we were sitting, eating, and waiting for people to get through the book signing line with the Harlot, Shelly gave me this:


It's a blanket for Sugar to match mine! How sweet is that! I know Shelly made the striped square. There seems to be some confusion as to what this stitch is called. Shelly called it the star or daisy stitch, but I did hear someone call it the "marjuana" stitch. Hmmmm....

Polly knit one of the purple squares and now I don't remember who knit the other two. Hopefully one of you will take pity on me and let me know. I really like the stitch patterns.

And as I was looking at the square's stitch patterns, here came Sugar to claim her blanket. Can you see the little ear sticking through the crocheted square? She crawled right under the blanket, stretched out, and promptly went to sleep.

I couldn't sit there and hold her so even though I got up, she stayed asleep (or pretended she was). She likes the blanket and hopefully when she feels the need to chew on wool, she'll pick her blanket instead of mine.

BACK TO THE HARLOT

After the book signing was over, several of us were fortunate enough to take Stephanie and Jayme out to a late dinner. We went to Louie's over on the lake and it was a little noisy but didn't keep us from visiting. Stephanie has a very interesting way of holding her needles and several of us were enthralled by the very little movement she used to move the yarn.

I asked her what method she was using (continental, throwing, lever, etc) and she said for speed, she uses the cottage method. This is where you tuck the right needle under your arm, between your legs, or use a holder of some sort. No wonder she is so fast! I haven't had a chance to really looked into it, but if that's where the speed is, then that's what I want to learn.

And there isn't much out there in Google-land on cottage (also called "process") knitting. I'm going to have to do more research. If you know of a good resouce, let me know - thanks!

So it was a wonderful event, we had a fabulous speaker, the chairpersons and volunteers performed heroically, both the library and GY were excellent and we will definitely do this again. In fact, be thinking about who YOU would like to come next. We'll be discussing this at guild next month.

8 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cottage knitting? I am intrigued. Does she use a holder, or does she tuck the needle under her arm?

Glad to see Sugar recognizes the value of good handmade crafts. That's a cat with taste.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger quantumtea said...

If you got Nancy Bush there, I'd seriously consider driving down for that!

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as speakers go, I don't see how we can top Stephanie. She is a great speaker!

She wasn't holding anything under her arm because she was using double points and working on the sock. She has an interesting way of wrapping the yarn in her hand and seemed to move it with her middle finger, but I'm about to give up trying to replicate it!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger kay_okc said...

Dark purple = Beverly Swickey
Pink = Polly
Gold crochet = Terri
Marijuana stitch = Shelly

Yeah Stephanie was using dpn's the other night. But she told us about the cottage/production knitting. I could just watch her hands move for hours. She didn't even have to look. She told me if her hand looked odd that she was slipping every other stitch. lol

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Oh, I love the picture of Sugar with her ear sticking through the crocheted square.

Here's the rundown of who did which square:

Terri - yellow crochet square
Polly - pink basketweave stitch square
Beverly - purple square (I don't know the stitch name)
Shelly - striped daisy/marijuana stitch square. : )

Good luck with the continued steroid reduction and I'm thrilled you had a great visit with your sister!

Always praying for you!

Shelly

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Susan! Have been missing you, and am so glad Sugar likes her blanket.

I did the interwoven stitch, because of the name and what it means to me. As knitters, our lives are "interwoven" in a strong bond that is indescribable except to other knitters. Our hearts, our minds, our cares and our love for one another and our craft.

Hope you and Sugar enjoy your blankets!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Terri said...

And all is right in the world of Catsville.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Susan, I recently had computer problems and lost your email address. Please give me a call or email regarding the steroid dosage...I have important info. to share. : )

Shelly

I'll be at a class this evening, but you can call on my cell phone. Kay has my number if you need it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home