Tracksy Web Stats A Knitter's Wonderland: Playing Catch-Up

A Knitter's Wonderland

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland) Needles click, how they glisten, cozy sound, as you listen, they’re stuck everywhere, sit down if you dare, welcome to my knitter’s wonderland. Yarn abounds to overflowing, countless books increase my knowing. I need every bit; I care not a whit if there’s no pathway through my wonderland! In an evening I can make a mitten, start a shawl, a sweater, or a hat. But the question to ask any kitten, is “Do you think she’ll really finish that?”

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Playing Catch-Up

OMG! The Yarn Harlot was here on Tuesday, my sister arrived on Wednesday (hadn't seen her in TEN years), we knitted straight for practically three days (with two runs to GY for project yarn), and she left this morning at 5:30 AM! So not only am I behind on posting, but I have TONS of things to post about! Think I'll break this up over the next several days so this post isn't 26 pages long.

Tuesday, July 25th, the Harlot comes to OKC! What a great event! I have been out following links and clicking on blog lines. First of all, there are knitters here in the city I didn't even know about, and second, there are some wonderful pictures on almost every site. Now if you read my posts once in a while, you know I ALWAYS take my camera. I just never manage to get it out of my bag. So do I have pictures of the Harlot - of course not! I recommend if you want to see some great pictures of the event, start down my sidebar. I think the best post is the Harlot's.

Here is the finished gift basket the guild gave her. I'm going to do a single post on the contents of this basket alone. We had some really awesome donations and I sure hope she liked it.

Posted by Picasa

Since I have no great photos to offer, how about some behind-the-scenes commentary. I really want to thank Kay, Emily, Anna Hester, Linette, Katie, Rosemary, Anita Roseler, and Margaret for the huge amount of work they did getting this event off the ground. You are the BEST!

And yes, we did have a couple of gliches but these people were able to fix them and move on. We learned a huge amount about putting on an event and will be much better prepared for the next one. Oh Yes, there will be a "next one." This one was way too much fun not to do it again. And what a great team GY and MOCKG makes.

One of my high points was getting to go with Margaret to pick up Stephanie and her publisher, Jayme at the hotel. As those of you know who met her at the book signing, Stephanie is even more delightful one-on-one than she is on her blog or even at the speaking event. I have to tell you, finding out 3.2 beer is "food" is the funniest thing I'd ever heard. I'm thinking of keeping a case in the pantry for those days I don't have time to cook! (just kidding - I don't drink, but I still think it's just too funny)

They told us about going to the Murrah Memorial and how it effected them. I'm glad they went and I'm glad I didn't have to take them (all these years and it still makes me cry). Once at the library, Stephanie went off to a vacant office to gather her thoughts and we went in to find seats. Of course Stephanie had the place howling with laughter within the first two minutes of her talk. Afterwards, (yes, the whole room DID sing "Oklahoma!") we zipped back over to GY and watched the long line of knitters with their copy of "Knittng Rules", in line to get her autograph.

Do you know, she visited with each and every one! She is so gracious and would make a GREAT Okie! I know she received some fun gifts. I saw a tiara, a tornado in a bottle, and stitch markers. There were probably other things but you can see these on the blogs if you have time to look.

And I am WORN OUT! But in a good way. I plan to rest up tomorrow. The steroid reduction program has me down to half a prednesone every day and I'll be calling my dr tomorrow to see what the next step is. I am so tired I've about lost my voice (okay, maybe Jan and I talking non-stop for three days had a LITTLE to do with it), but I know being tired certainly is contributing. So I'll be back in the groove probably by Tuesday and will catch up with emails then.

Well, blogger isn't letting me put up any other pictures tonight so will save the next fun thing for tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

That's awesome that you had such a great time with your sister!! And you are right...the YH event was just fantastic! You and the other organizers did a terrific job!
Carolyn

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fantastic! I just went and read Stephanie's post and it sounds like OK was one of her favorite stops yet. Now I totally want to visit Oklahoma -- you folks all sound so nice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home