Tracksy Web Stats A Knitter's Wonderland: Friday Morning

A Knitter's Wonderland

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland) Needles click, how they glisten, cozy sound, as you listen, they’re stuck everywhere, sit down if you dare, welcome to my knitter’s wonderland. Yarn abounds to overflowing, countless books increase my knowing. I need every bit; I care not a whit if there’s no pathway through my wonderland! In an evening I can make a mitten, start a shawl, a sweater, or a hat. But the question to ask any kitten, is “Do you think she’ll really finish that?”

Friday, June 30, 2006

Friday Morning

I've been out on our screen-in porch since 7:30 am, enjoying the balmy weather, a cup of tea, and the company of cats.

When we first moved into this house, all I wanted was the back patio screened in so I could sit out there (I am SO anti-bug it's not funny). Then the next thing that happened was the cancer and I spent hours and days in a zombie chemo fog on the porch.

I realized this morning, my screened in porch is one my favorite places. Let me share a little bit of it with you. Here is the lantana and spruce oasis:


In the cool of the evening, about 8:30 or so, two different hummingbirds and a handful of butterflies come by for an evening meal. I think the orange flowers are Lantana and the spikey looking flowers are the spruce. It's really fun to sit out here at dusk and watch the hummingbirds dip and sip.

Then later, out by the crepe myrtle, the fireflies start putting on their show, looking for a mate.

We don't use chemicals in the yard because as most of you know, firefly grub live in the ground. I prefer extra bugs (the reason the porch is enclosed) to losing fireflys. Yes, the picture is crooked. My balance is not quite what it could be.

And the trees are alive with birds and bird calls. We have Bluejays, Mockingbirds, Robins, Pigeons, Grackles, and a very shy Baltimore Oriale who makes an appearance maybe once every two weeks. Most live in or behind our redbud.


And yes our backyard is not landscaped, though it will be one of these days, it's still plenty cozy for us. We used to live on an acreage between Edmond and Guthrie and belive me, this is much nicer!

I had a few more pictures I was going to share but blogger has decided I've shared enough. I do have a question - I'd like to put up some hanging plants on the patio, any suggestions for someone who has the "thumb of death" where most plants are concerned?

5 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger kay_okc said...

Airplane plants, Boston Ferns (if you don't get direct sun, or Tahitian Bridal Veils. They are all great hanging basket plants. OR just get some pretty petunias if you want color and flowers. New Guinea Impatiens are beautiful in hanging baskets also.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger quantumtea said...

Hubby literally had the "thumb of death", came in from spraying Round Up on the latest outpost of the Trumpet Vine That Ate St Louis. NEVER plant one of these things.

My gardening strategy is more along the hack and slash lines, ours needs to be burned down and restarted. I know there's at least one blade of grass out there, but I just can't *find* it!

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Susan for sharing the pictures of your yard. It looks so nice! Since I haven't seen it, this was great. The flowers look very nice and it must be fun to see the hummingbirds, butterflies and all of the birds. I am so glad you have a nice screened in porch where you can enjoy all of this. We send our love.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Looks lovely - good luck keeping away from the bugs!

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I can think of almost nothing more idyllic than a screened porch in summer. Lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home