Tracksy Web Stats A Knitter's Wonderland: I Have a Dream

A Knitter's Wonderland

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland) Needles click, how they glisten, cozy sound, as you listen, they’re stuck everywhere, sit down if you dare, welcome to my knitter’s wonderland. Yarn abounds to overflowing, countless books increase my knowing. I need every bit; I care not a whit if there’s no pathway through my wonderland! In an evening I can make a mitten, start a shawl, a sweater, or a hat. But the question to ask any kitten, is “Do you think she’ll really finish that?”

Thursday, May 18, 2006

I Have a Dream

I have always wanted to take the cats with us when we go on day trips or overnight or weekends just to get out of town. To take cats ANYWHERE (because they think "anywhere" just means the vet), they will have to be able to wear halters and be on leashes. Well, except Rimsky. He is way too old to take anywhere BUT the vet's.

So my new idea was to start getting Sugar and Blue used to wearing halters. As it just so happens, I have two halters that fit them perfectly, after some adjustments. Here is Sugar in her jaunty, purple, small dog size, halter.

Of course she didn't like it at first (not so sure she likes it now) but after some rolling, backing up, and finally giving up, she adapted and wore it without a problem about an hour.

We were going to wear it again today but for reasons I will soon be explaining, we will probably try it again on Saturday. It still needs a little tighening to fit her better but she was being so good I hated to mess much more with her. Next week we will be adding the leash.

And here is Blueberry.

Notice she is NOT wearing her lovely teal halter. She is rolling around after being chased all over the house and she apparently believes she has won.

Here she is laughing at Sugar (who is still wearing her halter, btw). I tried twice to get the halter on Blue. Both times it was too big and she zipped right out of it. Now she won't come near me. So we are waiting until I can calm her fears, i.e. fake her out, that the halter episode is a thing of the past and I can actually get close enough to touch her.

Yes, I know it's mean to try to fake out cats, but I really think once we get past the scary halter thing, the scary leash thing, the scary car thing, she will LOVE traveling. Yes, yes, hope springs eternal!

The steroids have kicked in with all their glorious vigor. I'm sleeping four hours a night and eating 90 times a day. Makes for a kind of foggy afternoon but as soon as I take my afternoon steroid I'm good till about 9 pm.

I'm about half way through the back of my side to side tee. Will post a pic when I get a little more done so you can see how it's turning out. And hopefully by Saturday I'll have pictures of a grey blur in a teal blur. I know they say you can't out-stubborn a cat but I'm hoping I can at least out-fake one.

3 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger kay_okc said...

Those poor sweet little babies! lol When I got Lexi I was determined she would travel with me and not be afraid of going places or the car. I took her to my folks house many times when I still lived in Tulsa and then when I moved to OKC I would take her with me when I'd go for the weekend. It worked well until my mother found Mitz and started letting him in the house. I was afraid he'd hurt Lexi so I quit taking her then. You have me laughing at the pictures of your girls. Good luck with Blueberry and the halter!!! lol

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee. We tried to train our cats to wear harnesses, but with little success, I must admit. Recently I saw our neighbor walking his cat on a harness, though, so I know it can be done!

I've been told that if you persevere with the travel until the cats realize that travel doesn't always = vet, you can actually get them pretty mellow about it.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susan - Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed the Guild meeting yesterday. It was good to see you and catch up. And I am fascinated with the cat halters. My cats are starting to hide from me - I guess I've had a weird look in my eye since reading about them. And about cake - what is special about "that" cake that you can eat it? Maybe I can find a recipe so you can have it more often. Keep in touch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home