Tracksy Web Stats A Knitter's Wonderland: I Can't Believe It's Thursday!

A Knitter's Wonderland

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland) Needles click, how they glisten, cozy sound, as you listen, they’re stuck everywhere, sit down if you dare, welcome to my knitter’s wonderland. Yarn abounds to overflowing, countless books increase my knowing. I need every bit; I care not a whit if there’s no pathway through my wonderland! In an evening I can make a mitten, start a shawl, a sweater, or a hat. But the question to ask any kitten, is “Do you think she’ll really finish that?”

Thursday, April 27, 2006

I Can't Believe It's Thursday!

This week has simply flown by. I've been working! And then napping...but busy nontheless (is that a word?).

And busy knitting also. I finished two more DW clothes. They are so fast to make, talk about instant gratification! I can make one in around two hours. They make a great carry along project. For
Theresa and Rachel who asked for the pattern, here is the link. I use size 8 needles and cast on 3o stitches, keep the "knit 3 sts" on each end and follow the pattern.

Here are the two I just finished. The first one is in Peaches and Cream called Potpourri:

And a closeup of the colors:


The second one done in Peaches and Cream is called Butter Cream Ombre:

My picture to show you the whole thing turned out fuzzy so this is just a close up of the colors. I have about five or six more balls of different cotton to try. I just love how the colors works up.

And I got my secret project done. I've decided to share it with you because I really doubt the recipient reads this blog and if so, she may not figure out it's for her anyway. So what do you think this is? This is the front. (this reminds me of Cousin It from the old Addams Family show)


Here is the back. This should make it easy to figure out:


Yes! It IS a dust mitt. A knitted dust mitt. A labor intensive knitted dust mitt. I couldn't find a pattern so I created one and ended up putting on the front strands individually. I'd say the knitting took one evening and the strands have taken me several weeks! So if you want to make a knitted dust mitt, just let me know. I'm happy to share the pattern (like there's going to be a big run on making knitted dust mitts).

And I'll share my secret for making the stranding go much faster - Carolyn was watching me work on it and said "why don't you just do every other row?" Well DUH! Why don't I! And I got the rest of the stranding done in about two evenings.

I was going to end with pictures of the cats, but Blogger won't let me upload any more pictures so I'll post them next time.

5 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I just happened on your blog today, and thought I'd share a time-cutting tip for the next generation of knitted dust mitts: I saw a pattern a while back for a loopy fronted pillow casing. For every stitch you knit, you make a loop with the yarn around your thumb(on the right side of the knitting) and knit the next stitch. For the dust mitts you wouldn't have to strand at all, just knit the loops in as you go along and cut them afterwards, if you wanted to do so! Have a great day. :P

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger kay_okc said...

Thank you for including the YI.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

Thanks for the link - I'll give it a try.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That dust mitt is brilliant! I absolutely love it. And sure, it was labor intensive and you could have bought a dust mitt cheap and given it to your friend, but where's the fun in that? This dust mitt is unique in all the world. It'll make dusting a PLEASURE. And you can't put a price on that.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Wayne said...

I hate to disagree with any of you knitters (pointy sticks and all) but no matter what Rachel thinks, Nothing will dusting a pleasure! I do agree however that the dustglve is brilliant.

Laura is supposed to be sending me a camera for birthdayChristmasFather'sDayStPat'sdayArborDay and whatever else she can think to cram into it for about the last three years. So hopefully I will be able to put some plant pics on my blog soon. Oh who am I kidding, It'll be kid pix.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home