Tracksy Web Stats A Knitter's Wonderland: Fancy Footwear

A Knitter's Wonderland

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland) Needles click, how they glisten, cozy sound, as you listen, they’re stuck everywhere, sit down if you dare, welcome to my knitter’s wonderland. Yarn abounds to overflowing, countless books increase my knowing. I need every bit; I care not a whit if there’s no pathway through my wonderland! In an evening I can make a mitten, start a shawl, a sweater, or a hat. But the question to ask any kitten, is “Do you think she’ll really finish that?”

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Fancy Footwear

The Christmas knitting is done and out the door. I'll post pics after Christmas. So I'm back on the DW dishclothes (I've just cast on a Christmas-y red, green, and white so no pics yet) and another set of fingerless mitts:

These just couldn't be easier to make! I'm using a yarn called Ascot by Spinnerin. It's a wool, mohair, nylon mix. I did a test gauge since this is for someone else and show 5 sts = 1". I cast on 46 sts and am working a 2x2 rib. When I hit 8" I'll bind it off, sew partially up the side, and get it tried on before leaving the thumb opening.


I'm using three strands held together on size 9 needles. This is going to be WARM!

And today was the our monthly knit-together. Our group is called the Knitty Committee and we meet on the 4th Saturday of every month (except Nov & Dec then we meet on the 3rd Saturday). I've been in this group about eight or nine years - we started with three of us meeting at Michael's Arts and Crafts store. Today about 15 ladies came and it was great fun as always! When Stephanie talks about being among her people, I understand perfectly - these are MY PEOPLE!

I'd planned to take my camera so I could get pics of us but in the rush to get out the door, I left it on the counter. But I have something almost as good - slipper pictures (wow - was that a great segway or what):


Okay, I know they aren't hand knit but they are way cool! The socks are bright red with gold metalic thread and the cuffs are like fun fur. They remind me of Who feet from the "Grinch Who Stole Christmas." When I put them on I just want to start singing "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch!" A good friend gave them to me. Note the black nose in the corner. It belongs to the every vigilant yarn inspector! She was far more interested in the non-skid soles than the fur cuff.

And the next two pairs are knitted:


A fantastic knitter from the Knitty Committee made this pair and the following pair for me as thanks for finishing up a hooked rug for her. Imagine the purples all darker (I need to work on my picture taking techniques).


And a really nice sporty version! I love all my new slippers! I am cold most of the time and tend to wear slippers all year round in the house so I'm thrilled to have so many choices.

Last but not least, as I was surfing around the web last night, I ran across this - Cuteness Overload!! Nothing else need be said. Except tomorrow is the monthly meeting of the Knit Guild and I have set my camera ON my knitting bag.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home