Tracksy Web Stats A Knitter's Wonderland: Furry Hooligans

A Knitter's Wonderland

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland) Needles click, how they glisten, cozy sound, as you listen, they’re stuck everywhere, sit down if you dare, welcome to my knitter’s wonderland. Yarn abounds to overflowing, countless books increase my knowing. I need every bit; I care not a whit if there’s no pathway through my wonderland! In an evening I can make a mitten, start a shawl, a sweater, or a hat. But the question to ask any kitten, is “Do you think she’ll really finish that?”

Monday, November 28, 2005

Furry Hooligans

It wouldn't be a knitter’s wonderland without knitting hooligans to help, hinder, and harass. I have three:

Rimsky


He’s the old guy and a moggie. He’s almost 15 years old now and a mellower fellow you’ll probably never meet. In his younger days he used to greet any human with loud purring then upend himself and slide, tummy-up, down the closest leg. His plan was simple: be cute, be available, present the tummy, get lots of petting. And it worked every time. He loves sleeping on knitted items, if and only if, they are sweaters, they are darker than he is (to show off his beautiful fur), and he can turn them into a nest.


Blueberry

She’s a four year old blue Burmese. Contrary to what the breed manuals say about the Burmese, she is NOT friendly. She doesn’t like strangers, she barely likes us. She LOVES Rimsky. And like Rimsky, my hubby is her person. But she likes to sit on my lap in the evening while I knit. She has never tried to bat a needle or chew on yarn. But if, by some odd chance, another hooligan has managed to get a ball of yarn out, Blueberry is always up for a little one-on-one ball play.
Sugar

She’s the baby at eight months. When we got her, she was a tiny kitten with huge feet. And she hasn’t quite grown into them yet! She has a decidedly Bombay face, a bowling ball body, and a Siamese personality. She talks to everyone and to herself. She is the only cat I’ve ever had that LOVES yarn as much as I do (but for decidedly different reasons)! She will dig into any sack or holder in hopes of finding some. She especially loves yarn she can run off with and snack on (Yes, I know this is very bad for cats and it doesn’t do the yarn much good either). She is my cat. She is not allowed within ten feet of me when I’m knitting.

And speaking of knitting, I've been awash in experimenting with slip stitch patterns using variegated cotton on dishclothes. It's been really fun and I'm not done yet. I need to set it aside since I have Christmas knitting I haven't even started yet. Pictures and pattern ideas to come - AFTER the Christmas knitting (provided I don't get sidetracked on anything else).

2 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Susan!

I'm so glad to see your blog up. Congratulations!

Your cats sound like they keep you occupied.

We'll have to get you in the Oklahoma Knitters webring as well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger quantumtea said...

"Moggie" is also another name for the Morris Minor, a British car from the 1960s. Hubby had a 30 year old one when we started dating. Take a look!

http://www.morrisminor.com/

I have two American Random Shorthair cats myself, of indeterminate breed and parentage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home