Tracksy Web Stats A Knitter's Wonderland: Winter Wonderland

A Knitter's Wonderland

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland) Needles click, how they glisten, cozy sound, as you listen, they’re stuck everywhere, sit down if you dare, welcome to my knitter’s wonderland. Yarn abounds to overflowing, countless books increase my knowing. I need every bit; I care not a whit if there’s no pathway through my wonderland! In an evening I can make a mitten, start a shawl, a sweater, or a hat. But the question to ask any kitten, is “Do you think she’ll really finish that?”

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Winter Wonderland

Yesterday started my "I hate cold, I hate snow, I didn't move to the South to freeze" whine. Not that we get all that much snow really. Yesterday was windy, cold, and snowy. Today was bright, sunny, and snowy.

This is the front porch. I doubt we even got half an inch. It was a delightful 13 degrees when we got up but managed to soar to 27 degrees by noon.

So in honor of snow, the holiday season, etc. , here is a pair of very easy, very fast fingerless mitts or gauntlets I created last year. They make up in a hurry and I absolutely love them!


I'm sorry, I should have turned my hand over so you could see the back. (and it's VERY hard to take a picture of your own hand!) I made them out of LB Homespun to match a scarf. As you can see, they are very long. They go from the middle of my forearm (no nasty cold air gap) past my knuckles.


I made them as a simple flat 2x2 rib (I measured my hand across the palm for size) on either size 8 or 9 needles, then sewed them into tubes. I figured out where I wanted the thumb hole, and easy-sneazy, sew up the side seam and Done!

In honor of the cold weather finally hitting Oklahoma, I'm sharing our favorite beef stew recipe. We had it last night for dinner and it also is very easy. Enjoy and stay warm!

BAKED BEEF STEW

14 ½ oz Can Diced Tomatoes, undrained
1 Cup Water
3 TBSP Quick-Cooking Tapioca
2 Tsp Sugar
1 ½ Tsp Salt
½ Tsp Pepper
2 Pounds Lean Beef Stew Meat, cut into 1” cubes
4 Medium Carrots, cut into 1” chunks
3 Medium Potatoes, peeled and chunked
2 Celery Ribs, cut into 3/4 “chunks
1 Medium Onion, cut into chunks

In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, water, tapioca, sugar, salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients, mix well. Pour into a greased 13” x 9” x 2” or 3 qt baking dish. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 1 ¾ to 2 hours or until meat and veggies are tender. Serve in bowls. Makes 6 - 8 servings

2 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger elizabeth said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! My mom sent me to this site and I made the stew Sunday for "after shopping" dinner and we all loved it. :)

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Susan said...

You are so welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's the perfect "make ahead" dinner as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for reading!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home