Tracksy Web Stats A Knitter's Wonderland: Life in the Slowest Lane Possible

A Knitter's Wonderland

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland) Needles click, how they glisten, cozy sound, as you listen, they’re stuck everywhere, sit down if you dare, welcome to my knitter’s wonderland. Yarn abounds to overflowing, countless books increase my knowing. I need every bit; I care not a whit if there’s no pathway through my wonderland! In an evening I can make a mitten, start a shawl, a sweater, or a hat. But the question to ask any kitten, is “Do you think she’ll really finish that?”

Monday, February 12, 2007

Life in the Slowest Lane Possible

As some of you know, I have a broken right arm. It's broken close to the shoulder joint so it can't be casted or even taped down. I'm wearing a sling which seems to help, but thank you steroids, it will take longer to heal than a normal break.

We think I broke it when I fell in November after I got out of rehab. It's the only fall I remember where I landed on my right side.

Anyway, about six weeks ago or so, I noticed my shoulder was bothering me (about a week before my sister came out). I didn't mention it to my PT until last week. She kind of scared us as she was concerned the cancer might have moved to my shoulder bone. I had a rush MRI THAT NIGHT (8:30pm) and was in the tube for almost 2 solid hours. Why is it they can do my head in 45 minutes but a shoulder takes 2 hours? Oh well.

The good news is I have a broken arm! The better news is the cancer hadn't moved. And another good thing is the numbness has disappeared. Back in Oct 05 when Ihad the mastectemy, my arm was numb from my elbow to my shoulder. My arm is no longer numb!

Actually the even better news is the cancer had better be GONE this time! Three times in the same area is about all I can handle. I have a follow-up MRI sometime the end of this month to see what's going on.

It's kind of funny - I haven't really felt good since this last Gamma Knife - no energy, no motivation, and my joy had fizzled almost completely away. Haven't done any knitting since I started wearing the sling - whine, whine, whine.

But I woke up this morning with joy back! I feel much better (still tired and not kniting) but wanting to get back to life. So my first thought was to get the blog updated.

I don't have any knitting content to report. I did buy some bright colored Fun Fur at HL several weeks ago when it was half price so I could make me some more "hair" hats, I have to finish my SIL Eileen's scarf (and start it and make some swatches for it) and one of the young ladies at my office has a baby due in March so I wanted to get her something made. We'll see. I already told Eileen she'd be wearing her hat and scarf NEXT winter but if I feel up to it, I may actually pull out some patterns and see what I can come up with.

I can't remember if I mentioned this earlier or not but my brother and his wife are coming out after Valentine's day. He wants to be here for the MRI report - how sweet is that! He is a year younger than me and when I was in high school I couldn't just go drive around or go to a party but I had to take a sib with me. Bruce and I used to go together (I'm not sure why our folks thought that two teenagers would be more responsible than one - we could probably tell them stories and my mom would never need to get a perm again!)

I haven't seen Bruce in years, though we talk on the phone once or twice a year. I've never met his wife and am really looking forward to this visit. Then in March my sister Jan, my neice Celia (the one who lived with us during my chemo treatments) and her baby Cameron are coming out. I am so looking forward to seeing them!

And that's the way it goes. Hopefully I'll feel more like posting as time goes on or some other interesting things will happen (but not TOO interesting) I can share.

8 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Susan, I'm so glad that your broken arm wasn't from cancer. With the steroids, it will heal more slowly ...but it might be a good time to also check bone density since steroids can cause osteoporosis so very easily. Steroids are such a catch 22...so very helpful in some ways, and such a problem causer in others.

I'm so glad your joy is returning! I'm thrilled to hear of all your family that is coming to visit. That should be great quality time and definitely joyful. :)

I'm praying for the very best report ever on this next MRI.

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very glad to hear your joy is back but sorry to hear about your arm!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Yea!!! Soooo glad that you felt up to blogging today....a good sign! Even though I see you, I still miss "reading" you...lol!

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Susan's joy! I hope that with each passing day more of your zest for life returns to you.

It's amazing that a broken arm can seem like good news -- but a person should take good news where she can get it, right? I hope it heals quickly and without too much pain.

All the best to you, Susan! Thanks for the update!

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Terri said...

It may start with your joy then the rest will follow. Sorry about the arm. Shame on you for not telling them - it's just like us to think we know how to treat ourselves. I am guilty of that too.

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan so good to see you have done your blog again. We continue to pray for you and for Jim, too. We are praying for a good report when the MRI is taken. We thnk it will be! We went to our Bible Study this morning and then a group of us went out to lunch together. God bless you. Love, Mom

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Sounds great! The joy is the best part.

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to see an entry from you at last.
Susan's got the "joy, joy, joy, joy down in her heart..."
--Tiana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home