Tracksy Web Stats A Knitter's Wonderland: The Last Treatment

A Knitter's Wonderland

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland) Needles click, how they glisten, cozy sound, as you listen, they’re stuck everywhere, sit down if you dare, welcome to my knitter’s wonderland. Yarn abounds to overflowing, countless books increase my knowing. I need every bit; I care not a whit if there’s no pathway through my wonderland! In an evening I can make a mitten, start a shawl, a sweater, or a hat. But the question to ask any kitten, is “Do you think she’ll really finish that?”

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Last Treatment

Today was the last radiation treatment. I hadn't planned on making this the topic of my post but the radiology dept really gets into the last treatment and you won't believe what happens!

First, here's my mask with Mardi Gras balloons tied to it!

At the end of the last treatment, the ladies (three of them), radiation techs, came in with the balloons and tied them on the mask (and of course, guess who thinks the balloons are really for her).

They gave me a certificate showing I'd gone through 14 treatments, got hugs from absolutely every one in the back (there are about 10 techs - two men and eight women) and when I finally managed to get to the front desk to leave, a lady from accounting had left a set of earrings she made for me! (Hmmm...can we say "stitch markers?")

What a blow-out day! I was so surprised! I hardly know these people and yet they rallied around me like family and were so supportive for 14 days! Alright, I tried to convert three of them into knitters, tried to talk a guy into getting wife into the guild, I mean, it's not like I don't push knitting worse than a druggie pushes his addiction!

I have only good things to say about the staff at Mercy Hospital. I never felt out of the loop, never felt like piece of meat, never felt anything less than getting the full attention each step in this process required. So if you have to have awful things done, go where the staff understands it's awful.

And with that said, so ends my radiation for the moment. I am still on steroids. Shelly, I look like a moonbaby - My face is so round and shiny! I have to wait a month and then I have another MRI of my head to see what's going on. Steroid tapering starts next week. And with a little luck, a lot of prayer, and the grace of God, in two weeks I'll be feeling like my old self again (or better!)

And I SO appreciate all of the kind support, prayers, and encouragement I've received through my web journal. You have no idea how important you all are to me! And now onward and upward -

Let's look at some knitting:

Here is finished fuzzy foot #1. Does it look large? Does it look normal? Do NOT look at the toe! I have no idea what a grafting stitch is so I just did a three needle bind off. It's going to be felted for pete's sake! But again, does it look the right size?

Here it is next to hubby's arm. Hubby is not a small man! This sock is huge!! I've got the second one started and am up to the purple stripe. Will probably get it finished tonight. Sugar ripped it out once for me. Not exactly the most helpful thing in the world. But I have some orange handspun left over and I'm going to knit and felt a toy for her. She really loves yarn!

8 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger kay_okc said...

I think it is on the Lion Brand website, but there are some knitted mice for cat toys there. I printed it out several months ago planning for Lexi. Maybe sweet Sugar would like some of those?? Cool mask!!! I think when this is all said and done you should use it as a wall decoration. :-) All kidding aside, I think it's wonderful the staff at Mercy knows when they have a special someone in their midst.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Congratulations! A great milestone.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Congratulations indeed! I know there are lots of felted toy patterns out there, I think knitty even had kitty dim sum at some point?

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Congratulations on your final radiation!! I have been in awe of your spirit Susan - you are truly an inspiration.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Rosemary said...

Teehee. A grafting stitch is also called the kitchener stitch. But you're right, it will be felted and a 3 needle bind off will be just fine.

Congrats on finishing your treatments :)

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger quantumtea said...

I used this pattern for mice for my cats, and eery morning, one of other of the mice is lying in the hall outside the bedroom as a trophy.

Glad the treatments are over now.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Susan,

I'm so happy that you've finished! That mask has a beautiful profile...just like you! : )

I'm glad they gave you balloons and hugs!

Yep, those socks look pretty big (or does hubby have tiny arms?), but after felting they should be fine. : )

Your Pal and CCC Co-Founder,

Shelly

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, A huge hug and a hearty congrats on your last radiation treatment. I am so happy that you and Shelly have each other for support during your "steroid stints". You sound like a woman of incredible courage and will. I think the mask was very festive with the balloons attached! How marvelous that Mercy hospital has such wonderful, caring clinicians on board. It sounds like you received nothing but the best of care. I must say that the sock looks "just a tad big!" However, do not take my opinion as a knowledgeable one....heaven forbid, the closest I come to knowing anything about knitting is supposedly that is what yarn is for! :-) By the way, just whose feet are these power socks being knitted for? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home